April 17, 2012

Book Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Hello everyone! Like I promise before I'll post now my book reviews here in my blog. This is the first one. Enjoy guys! :) Warning: SPOILER ALERT!!!

"May the odds be ever in your favor."

*SUMMARY from Goodreads:
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, the shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to death on live TV. Sixteen year old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the games. But Katniss has been close to dead before and survival. 

*REVIEW:
That's right! I finally read it and watched the movie as well. I read The Hunger Games a couple of months ago before the movie hit the big screens. I absolutely love the first book (and enjoyed the series as well). I've avoided it for so long because this kind of story is not usually my thing. You know the whole dystopian future sci-fi thing - it just doesn't usually do it for me, I think it's more of a guy thing. Except now I think maybe it does. Or the series does, at least. I can certainly see why the book was such a hit. This novel struck many characters and themes (teenage love, poverty, family, sci-fi, and more), was an easy and quick read, as well as full of action. 

The author builds a fantastical yet believable world where it takes a future vision of United States no more but instead a country now called Panem which divided in twelve districts with the Capitol at the center. The rest of the story follows Katniss through training and competition in the game and of course the two people venture Katniss and Peeta, on to the journey to fight for their lives. The story has a fast paced, it progress quickly with well defined characters who have odd names. What the hell a 'Peeta Mellark' name??!! (Well, everyone has an odd name in The Hunger Games Trilogy, but still...Haha.) Well, what really hooked me in was the characters. They're brilliantly established a good portrayal of their part - especially Gale, who barely gets any face time in the book and yet have a strong presence. I liked the fierce Katniss, her prowess with the bow and arrow are unrivaled. How can you not like her?? So happy to see a lead character who could put the "hero" in a heroine.

I can certainly understand how the young or young at heart crowd fell head over heels for this novel. For me though, the love triangle between Peeta and Gale is a cliche, that might be passable for the intended audience. But I loved the spice of violence and bloodshed. The constant suspense kept me turning page after page, as I assume, most of those who read the book. 

Collin's prose is well pace filled with humor which cause the book to become addictive and hooked on every details the book describes. Like any good story, you are immersed in the world built around you, yet you know it is not real but you can't stop reading. There was a time, while you reading every chapter you are completely engross in Katniss character, feeling everything she felt, sees everything she saw. To the point where you have to choose between Peeta and Gale. Seriously, I love those guys - Wow! Who could pick between them? The baker's son versus the long time best friend. 

That being said, I was still blown away by the fact that book is still able to have some emotional impact to its readers as reading it for the first time. I might not remember the finer details but I knew the big elements.  I disliked the mutts part, but since this is a part of successful trilogy, were the audiences stuck around to find what happens. Plus, Collins has crafted such great characters with a very interesting love triangle and twists, at least. Brilliantly done, Miss Collins. Until then, I'll start writing review for Catching Fire. Yeah! I'm addicted. For those of you that haven't watch the movie yet, here's the trailer!! Check it out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment